September 14, 2008

#1-First Post

Well all, I welcome myself to Blogland. The purpose of the blog is really to give myself a way to express myself to all those who may be interested or may stumble across this web address. I expect this blog to be a bit random, but the topics will primarily focus on spiritual matters, politics, my pet peeves, and football. I also hope to start a male blogging revolution. Without further ado, on to my first post.

Let me set up the scenario for you: You run into Wal-Mart (I normally do not suggest ever going to Wal-Mart, but that's for a future post) to pick up an emergency tube of toothpaste (really, any single item will do). After making your selection, you quickly head to the front of the store towards the checkout aisles. You scan the aisle identification signs to find the one that will ensure your remaining time in the store will be short: the express lane. The 20 items or less line. You stride confidently toward your goal. As you near the line, you notice that one person that you dread seeing: the customer with the overflowing cart who has bypassed all the regular lines filled with patiently waiting, law-abiding customers. Their eyes dart from you and your solitary item to the "20 items or less" sign and back down as if they had never noticed it. You know that they will beat you to it. The rage begins to build. What gall! What disregard for all that is decent!

Does this not bother anyone else? We live in a world filled with rules. You can't just go into someone else's house and use their stuff just because you are in a hurry or there is a line in front of your house. The express line is essentially someone else's. It "belongs" to the person who is purchasing less than 20 items. What these "thieves" are saying is that because they are impatient, they should just use something that does not belong to them, regardless of how it affects the people it does belong to. Do they not understand that this kind of behavior could lead to the complete breakdown of society?

My dream is that when I retire I would stand at the entrance to the express line with a bullhorn. As customers approach, I would quickly make a count of their items. If they fall within the constraints of the line of which they've chosen, I will smile and wish them well as they contribute to a just society. If they do not, I will quickly block the lane, instruct them to move on to a lane that allows more than 20 items and make an announcement over the bullhorn to all in the store that this customer feels that they do not have to abide by the rules that have been laid down to perpetuate a civil society.

What a beautiful world that would be.

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Welcome to the blogging addiction!

I must resound your complaints about the express lanes! It drives me nuts when people do that!

Although I will admit that I've gone through there when I accidently miss counted and have 21 or 22 items. Glad you weren't there that day to see me!

Mrs. Hany said...

welcome soon to be addict!!! I agree with your complaint and have a theory that the only rule in the entire world that people actually follow is the "dry clean only" tag. Other than that it is up for grabs!

Brooke said...

You're funny. I don't like Wal-Mart either.

Interesting note Kirsten- I don't always follow the "dry clean only" tag for our clothes.

Anonymous said...

Where were you thinking of buying the bullhorn? And, would you go through the express lane to buy it? Let me know if I'm missing the point here.

Anonymous said...

We can't shop at Walmart anymore... it makes me actively angry.

Worse is the consistant violation of the "walk on the right side" rule. I know, it isn't written, but it is understood.

(caveot... the only people I am willing to let off the hook on this one are:Australians, the British, Cayman/Cook/Christmas/Cocos Islanders, Eastern Indians, Japan and Trinidad/Tobago. Forget it, Swazilanders!)

I will find myself pushing a cart on the right side and some 700lb gender-undetermined person with a cart full of generic snack foods will ram me while trying to figure out what 10 for $10.00 breaks down to if he-she buys 12 off the endcaps.

Maybe it is just me.

Anonymous said...

Walmart blows. But their prices are soooo good. It's like a drug.

Amber said...

glad to have you join us Andy!